Tax & Revenue
Taxation regimes are often complex and constantly changing. The Australasian member firms of ALFA International are well positioned to assist clients in specialist tax advisory requirements in this environment.
The ALFA International firms offer legal advice and assistance to our local and international clients in the areas of:
- income tax and capital gains tax,
- goods and services tax,
- transfer pricing,
- state taxes including stamp duty, payroll tax and land tax,
- corporate tax structuring, international tax agreements, tax issues arising in mergers and acquisitions and other ownership change transactions,
- foreign investment, import and export business taxes,
- succession planning, estate planning and asset protection,
- philanthropic and charitable organisations and individuals, and
- negotiation, audit and dispute resolution with taxation authorities.
The Australasian member firms provide advice to a range of clients including large listed or publicly trading companies through to small entrepreneurial companies, high net worth families, investors, property owners, accounting firms, financial advisors and other professional services providers. Clients can be confident in our sophisticated and broad-ranging experience and our drive to provide outstanding levels of service.
Some of our matters include:
- Acting for a multinational corporation in respect to premiums charged by the WorkCover Authority seeking an amendment to its WorkCover industry classification. The Australasian member firm successfully objected to a re-classification, resulting in the original work industry classification applying. The outcome was a commensurate reduction in the corporation’s WorkCover premiums by approximately $400,000. We also worked with the client to ensure its conduct of operations was appropriately structured and that the correct work industry classification applied for the future.
- Advising a large privately owned retailer on the structuring of its business for stamp duty purposes which involved re-financing of a debt facility in excess of $500 million.
- Advising a multi-national corporation in respect to the application of GST involving a substantial damages claim. The Australasian member firm was able to remove the requirement to pay GST, resulting in the saving of millions of dollars.
- Advising a multi-national software company on the structuring of its business for international operations.
- Advising on the establishment of major funds management holding structure.
- Advising an international telecommunications company on the application of stamp duty concerning the installation of telecoms equipment at various sites throughout Australia.
- Advising a large national group on the restructuring of its corporate entities in order to maximise available deductions for the group.
- Advising on the structuring of an employee share option scheme for a US based technology company.
- Acting for corporate groups on complete restructure including corporate and trustee tax issues and employment issues.
- Advising an international manufacturer on transfer pricing issues and appreciation of double taxation agreements.
- Acting for a US manufacturer on importation of equipment and goods and service tax application and revenue repatriation.
- Acting for investor to successfully defend Australian Taxation Office claim following extensive audit process.
- Advising high net worth family on asset protection, tax planning and establishment of charitable foundation.