Mining, Resources, Environment & Infrastructure
The Australasian member firms of ALFA International have in-depth industry knowledge and experience in regard to mining, resources, environment and infrastructure.
- mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructuring,
- capital raisings, IPOs, corporate transactions and finance,
- drafting and negotiation of commercial, procurement and sales contracts,
- farm in/farm out and joint operating agreements,
- tender document preparation,
- insurance and risk management,
- port, rail and other infrastructure access and use,
- power purchase agreements,
- sales and off-take agreements,
- royalty arrangements,
- gas sales and transportation agreements,
- native title,
- sale and access agreements,
- land access advice,
- tenement and land tenure,
- taxation and transfer duty,
- environmental claims and disputes,
- environmental damage prevention, mitigation and remediation, and
- regulatory matters.
The Australasian member firms advise local, national and international private and publicly listed companies, SMEs, government bodies, explorers, producers, contractors and support businesses, hedge funds and private investors. Each Australasian member firm’s team of lawyers acts for clients with interests in areas including mining, oil and gas, water, electricity, forestry and renewable energy.
Some of our matters include:
- Acting for a major oil and gas producer in resolving some key licensing and reserve and resource reporting issues that arise in relation to unconventional gas development.
- Acting for a number of Australia’s most active coal producers in the acquisition of land for coal mining, associated infrastructure (including roads, rail, pipelines and conveyors) and buffer land for several existing and proposed coal mines. We also advise on commercial matters e.g. structuring of a company involved in the construction and operation of a coal processing facility in Queensland. Our clients are involved in re-mining, re-processing and rehabilitation of coal tailings and coarse rejects and marketing of export-grade products.
- Acting for an Australian Securities Exchange listed uranium developer which undertook re-financing using a convertible debt facility. This involved detailed assistance with regard to royalty arrangements and priority issues related to mortgaging and caveats under the Western Australian Mining Act.
- Advising a mineral sands company on its strategic placement to and off-take agreement with another company. The deal was a significant milestone for the mineral sands company in the development of its Keysbrook mineral sands project in Western Australia.
- Acting for an Australian public company engaged in exploration activities in a ‘reverse’ takeover of a US company (listed on the Over the Counter Bulletin Board), involving cross border issues and challenges ($30 million).
- Acting for an Australian ASX listed public company engaged in exploration activities in preparing information memoranda for fundraising activities.
- Forming a public company to acquire Peruvian mining tenements, preparing an information memorandum for sophisticated investors and proceeding to an ASX listing.
- Advising an Australian and US based mining group on an on-market takeover, acquisitions of mining tenements, joint ventures, capital raisings, corporate structuring and pre-feasibility agreements.
- Completing a listing of a public mining company on the AIM Market (including readying the client for the listing).
- Developing innovative agreements dealing with production of unconventional agreements.
- Acting for a major oil and gas company on farm in and farm out transactions.
- Acting for a major electricity generation in a large land and water contamination claim.
- Acting for a government on a strongly disputed claim over remediation of a major waste disposal / dump site.